Here is a favorite appetizer that is easy to make and can be made ahead. Any button mushroom will work. I use Palms mushrooms from Jefferson. The other key to this recipe is using good dense and chewy bread.
- 3 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 6 ea. Plump garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 lb. Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tea. Thyme, fresh
- 4 tea. Fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tea. Grey sea salt
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan
- 12 ea. Baguette size wheat bread, lightly toasted
- 3 tbsp. Soft butter
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 cup Pleasant Ridge Reserve cheese or a good Gruyere, shredded
- 1. In skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and garlic; cook till fragrant.
- 2. Add the butter and, when it melts, add mushrooms, thyme, sage and salt.
- 3. Cook until mushrooms release liquid; liquid evaporates and mushrooms take on color.
- 4. Remove from heat, cool slightly and add Parmesan. Cheese should melt into mix.
- 5. Lay bread on baking pan to cover bottom.
- 6. Spread with soft butter and spoon mushrooms over the top, pressing down.
- 7. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese.
- 8. Bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is brown.
- 9. Let rest and serve.
Wisconsin Local Food https://wisconsinlocalfood.org/